The Business of the City: Miscellaneous

Friday, September 26, 2014

Joann Hollis, Community Leader and Councilwoman

I received word several hours ago that former Councilwoman and life-long community activist Joann Hollis passed away. My deepest condolences go out to my colleague, Council President Bridget Rivers, to Joann's beloved mother, Mrs. Marjorie Hollis, and to her entire family and other loved ones. I remember visiting Joann with a couple of friends a while back (before this last hospital stay), and how, even though her health was delicate, she kept her spirits up, sustained by her deep and abiding faith.

One of the last photos I have of Joann is one I took of her greeting "Santa" at the New Democrats Holiday Party and Toy Drive for the children of the Elm-West Residents Association, which our Community Service Team sponsored last December. Even though Joann said she was still feeling weak, she added that there was no way she would miss out on seeing the children of our community having a great time.

In looking at this photo, you can see that Joann's smile is broad and bright. She will be deeply missed. May she rest in peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment