The Business of the City: Miscellaneous

Wednesday, April 16, 2014

"Show Me the Money!" Screams Underpaid Councilwoman



For those who bore witness to the disgusting and shameful display of raw, naked political pandering at last night's council meeting--what you witnessed included: appointed council members  as well as other councilors playing politics with the lives of the folks who live in the 4th Ward's Liberty Village, as well as a shameful display of fake concern for said individuals. Appointed Councilwoman Taylor, who is filling a vacancy, again spoke vaguely about "some people" (I guess meaning me and Cory) not really caring about Plainfield. 

One of the lowest points of the evening for me—it’s really hard to say exactly which was the lowest because there were so many—was when Councilor Greaves literally yelled at a longtime Plainfield resident who had the temerity to suggest that the council should have had enough time (two weeks) to read through the packet on the Liberty Village proposal and resolution because, after all, the governing body gets paid to do so. That’s when Greaves when into high gear, raising her voice to a high-pitched, insulting level, railing about how she doesn’t get paid enough to be on the council. You will remember a previous post wherein I told you of the attempt led by Reid and Greaves to raise the city council salaries, and how Bill Reid voted against the budget (the most important role of the city council) because I wouldn’t go along with the scheme.

Well, in my opinion, it is obscene and offensive for her to suggest that she is "underpaid." She is paid $9,000.00 dollars per year by the hardworking residents of our city--paid with your money--to represent the citizens of the 1st and 4th wards. No other resident who lives in those two wards gets $9,000.00 from the city for doing the work that Councilwoman Greaves wanted the voters to elect her to do. Perhaps she should ask them whether they think she should get more. It is clear to most council watchers that Greaves often has not appeared to have read the accompanying documents that come in our city council packets—for $9,000.00, that is the least Plainfield residents should expect.

To witness a council person screaming at a resident was one of the worst spectacles that I have ever seen in my three years on the council—she was allowed to go on her singularly embarrassing rant about being underpaid and wanting more money for several minutes without a single bang of the gavel.
  
You also witnessed a former mayor come forward to try to get the city council to pay invoices that she keeps trying to submit from last year. Regarding the copies of documents Robinson-Briggs submitted as monies owed to her (what else) food and other vendors, etc., she "whited out"--altered, thus falsified--the dates and other information on them before giving them to the council to hide certain aspects of the supposed "expenses" she wants taxpayers to foot the bill for.

In the world I live in, it's criminal to falsify documents and then submit them to a municipality as authentic. There is no proof that these bills were incurred for city events. Again, she thinks that you, the taxpayer of Plainfield, should pay a bill with missing information that she whited out. The city council cannot pay invoices that have been altered--we have to protect you from any attempts to possibly defraud the city.

Later, when resident Rasheed Abdul-Haqq stood during public comment to express his displeasure at how Jerry Green 1) controlled some members of the city council; and 2) disenfranchised duly-elected Democratic City Committee members by picking and choosing candidates he wanted, Council President Rivers told him to go down to Trenton to complain about the assemblyman. Thinking I was off-mic, I suggested that all residents should be able to come to the microphone to exercise their First Amendment rights.

It was then the council president turned on me in an obnoxious and bullying manner—ranting and raving that she was “sick of me,” that I was “disrespectful,” and so on. When I said that I had a right to speak, as I, too, was a councilwoman, she then decided to play politics, referencing the fact that I am up for re-election, saying, “Not for long,” or something to that effect. The whole thing is “caught on tape,” as they say, if you have the stomach to watch it.

Regarding the rest of the embarrassing evening, all I can say is this: You have an opportunity on June 3rd to make a choice about where you want this city to go. Do you want forward progress, or do you want to go back to the past, where politicians and their loyal cronies work only to enrich themselves, to feed the patronage pits of their bosses at the expense of the people of Plainfield? You have a choice, folks.

Rebecca

9 comments:

  1. I agree with your post 100%... and the New Dem's have a choice on November 4th ... support candidates who support Plainfield's Future and a forward vision.. NOT THE PARTY LINE.. honestly I know you may not post this... but these people are here due to a VOTE THE PARTY LINE mentality and they will stay until that is gone....there are so many "evil" Republicans in this city and "misguided" Independents who want nothing more than for Plainfield to be a great place to live, work, vote in and represent the citizens best interests without the boot of an oligarch on their neck.. get these people in office who believe in dialogue and working together for the city and you'll see change....other wise.. it's another photo opp on election day and back to the same routine...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I personally thank you, Rebecca for all you do for Plainfield and it's citizens. The council is filled with incompetent nitwits who do not have a heart for the City of Plainfield. I want to see this city move forward and I strongly believe you have the competence, skills, and language to make Plainfield a prideful and wonderful community that it once was.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with your comments regarding Rebecca's competence, ethical leadership and management skills. Watching her actions - not just her words - for the past three years has shown me that she is a dedicated councilwoman who truly wants the best for Plainfield. Let's finish cleaning house and make a better effort to elect people who put Plainfield first. Kudos, Rebecca, you have my vote!

      Delete
  3. Rob, I posted your comment because I wanted to say that the real choice for our city comes on June 3rd--in the Democratic primary. I am an independent-minded, progressive Democrat running against Jerry Green's hand-picked choice. Back when I ran for my seat for the first time, I ran as an independent-minded, progressive Democrat running against two opponents. I was able to demonstrate to enough of Plainfield's Democratic voters in the 2nd and 3rd wards that I was the best candidate to represent their interests, and so they chose me. I hope that the 3 years that I have been on the council, showing continued active grassroots involvement in our community, have shown that I put Plainfield first, that I am committed to honest, ethical leadership and active representation, and that I don't play games.

    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

      Delete
    2. again.. I like you, I support you.. but.. by deleting that comment... you know what I wrote was spot on... your blog, and i can openly respect that though.

      Delete
  4. This City Council is surely manned by many nit-wits. Get rid of the "Stooges" and get people in there who will for for Plainfield and not themselves. Greaves is often unprepared and I have seen it many times. She changes votes and its apparent she doesn't pay much attention. What an airhead. I can't support the party line for City Council and will be campaigning to make sure we get responsible people on the Council. I hope the voters are paying attention. The "party line" can kill a party and a town. Let's not let that happen.

    Bob Bolmer

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Rebecca,

    It surely was a depressing meeting. It was more apparent than ever that the health and well being of Plainfield is not a priority for many on the council. I actually echo Councilman Reid's comment (but for different reasons), if you don't like the way things are headed here, well then you can just leave.

    Thank you for your hard work, and I hope you are sitting in that council seat for as long as you want it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. As for poor, underpaid Councilor Greaves, perhaps she should stop complaining about her compensation and resign her position so that we can elect someone who will focus on what they were appointed to do for the city of Plainfield.

    ReplyDelete