The Business of the City: Miscellaneous

Friday, April 1, 2011

WOF! Winning Our Future, Plainfield!

In his State of the Union speech this year, President Obama talked about "winning the future." I have been thinking my own "WTF" thoughts since yesterday afternoon, but today I will put on what Mrs. Irving, my fifth-grade teacher, used to call my "thinking-cap," and see what sorts of proposals I can help bring forth to help Plainfield win the future. I am focusing on reform to ease the tax burden on Plainfielders, such as the local insurance reform measure that I wrote about a couple of days ago.

In a previous blog post, I reiterated the seriousness of Plainfield's financial predicament: 




I am also focused on finding additional ways to mentor young people (this is part of what I do in my professional life as an educator)--specifically, getting them to focus on education as the way to "win the future." I think that the hierarchical structure of our priorities is out of whack--education remains the key element in engendering success. 

A focus on protecting cronies and jobs and maintaining the status quo sends the WRONG message to our young people and hurts our city as a whole. We need to change how we do business, stop playing politics, and demand that the focus be shifted toward true reform. 

What are your thoughts in attempting to answer the "WTF" question for Plainfield?

All best,

Rebecca

5 comments:

  1. Dear Ms. Williams,

    I don't think it's appropriate to label your positive initiatve as WTF, Plainfield. President Obama's initiative of winning the future was subsequently ridiculed by Sarah Palin, who started referring to his points as WTF moments. We all know that, in texting "speak" WTF connotes something not printable. It does not connote winning the future. I suggest that you reconsider what you're calling this initiative, or at least stop using the acronym.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What are you going to do about the PMUA? Why not remain focused on issues that you could have a direct impact on?

    We are getting fleeced by the PMUA to the tune of $12 million a year. That doesn't include the corrupt board.

    ReplyDelete
  3. With all due respect to "Anon at 6:26 pm," the issues in this post ARE issues that I can have a direct impact upon. Regarding the PMUA, I think I have made my position pretty clear--I am for complete reform or for abolishing this entity. I know that Councilman Mapp shares my view. However, we are two voices out of seven--you must convince the other councilors to join us in advocating for reform of the authority. This means that the public outcry must come from all across the city.

    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ anon 6:26 Rebecca is correct. She has been pretty vocal about reforming the PMUA. There are three council members that don't see any problem with the PMUA's waste (Reid, Greaves, and Rivers). Storch and McWilliams haven't taken public positions.

    ReplyDelete
  5. To 8:27 am,

    I see what you're saying--I certainly am not making fun of President Obama's initiative--I agree that I ought to be a little more clear and perhaps less "clever."

    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete