The Business of the City: Miscellaneous

Sunday, January 23, 2011

Time to Stand and Deliver

As your new councilor, I want to restate my goals as your public servant for the next four years. My service on the Plainfield City Council will be focused on good government. 

We are all aware of the issues facing Plainfield, and my pledge to you is that I will do my best to make sure that all Plainfield residents can feel safe and secure in their persons and in their homes; that Plainfield will work seriously on economic revitalization; that residents receive a proper accounting of how our tax money is spent; that Plainfield passes the strongest municipal pay-to-play reform ordinance possible; that developers adhere to contracts they have entered into with the city (I am thinking here of the Senior Citizens Center/Veterans Center); and that Plainfield abolishes the "preferred vendor" status and opens true competitive bidding for all public contracts (which will save taxpayers money). 

I also pledge to do my best to ensure that we work with our county and state elected officials to reopen Muhlenberg Hospital; that the Plainfield Public Library, which serves all residents, continues to thrive; that the road projects are completed in a timely and cost-effective fashion; that Cedarbrook Park receives the upgrades that are part of the county's master plan; that recreational activities for all Plainfield residents are enhanced; that all city business is conducted with transparency; and that I will offer honest and ethical leadership. I take my role very seriously, and I hope to prove that in the coming years. 

In addition to serving as the Councilwoman At-large for the Second and Third Wards, I will be serving as a member of the following Standing, Administrative, and Oversight Committees, which must submit reports at the Agenda Fixing meetings each month:

Economic & Community Development Committee
Chair: Cory Storch; Members: Annie McWilliams, Rebecca Williams
Public Safety Committee
Chair: Bridget Rivers; Members: Vera Greaves, Rebecca Williams

Further, I will also be serving as one of the council liaisons and/or alternates for the following:

Cable TV Advisory Committee: Liaison (with Councilors McWilliams and Greaves)
Green Brook Flood Control Commission: Alternate (Councilor Mapp is primary liaison)
Muhlenberg Community Advisory Group: Liaison (with Councilors McWilliams and Reid)
Plainfield Advisory Commission on Hispanic Affairs (PACHA): Primary Liaison
Plainfield Municipal Utilities Authority (PMUA): Alternate (Councilor Rivers is primary liaison)
Shade Tree Commission: Primary Liaison (Councilor Storch is alternate)

Finally, Council President McWilliams has scheduled Town Hall meetings in each of the wards--the schedule is listed as follows:

Ward 1, Emerson Community School: Thursday, March 31, 2011 at  7:00 pm
Ward 2, Cook School: Thursday, April 21, 2011 at 7:00 pm
Ward 3, Cedarbrook School: Thursday, April 28, 2011 at 7:00 pm
Ward 4, Clinton School: Thursday, May 19, 2011 at 7:00 pm
 
I will post updates and changes as they occur--I will also post links of interest as soon as I can. Thank you again--I have great confidence in you, Plainfield, and I hope that I can inspire your confidence in me as your new elected official in 2011.

All best,

Rebecca

2 comments:

  1. Alan Goldstein in the 3-2January 24, 2011 at 8:44 AM

    Go for it! I'm all for your agenda. Don't take 'No' for an answer. Adult volleyball on Friday nights would be fun too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been soliciting “pithy” names from friends via my Facebook page for a title for this council blog, and one suggestion was that I use “Stand and Deliver” or some such variation of that. Well, ummm…after looking it up on a UK phrase origin site, it turns out that "stand and deliver" was coined by highwaymen in England when they robbed folks…ouch! So, when considering how residents feel about what elected officials do when they raise taxes, that term is OUT!

    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete